"and the floods came up"

9 days ago we moved into a dirty old house.

We weren't too happy.

Things are much cleaner and better now, but we have had a rough first week here.

There is no way we could have made it without the help of our friends and parents. Thank you all so much!

The day after we moved in my parents had left and I came home from class to find Easy and the girls playing in the street with the new neighbors. I love coming home and seeing them all so happy. I love the hugs and kisses I am greeted with. I miss them greatly every Saturday.

When we walked in the house that we just moved into I heard an unfamiliar sound coming from the hall. Like water running, spraying, or maybe flushing. Spraying was right. The supply line was broken off from the toilet and water was gushing out the bathroom and into the hall and bedrooms. It was actually dripping out the front of the house. I ran to the front and E waded into the bathroom and cut it off at the source. We called the property manager and immediately started flipping wet boxes over in the rooms tearing into them to retrieve the contents. Wet packing paper falls off Grandma Brown's paintings and we are grateful that nothing is ruined. All has been thrown into the one bedroom that wasn't flooded. We acted on impulse. Running. Yelling. Fighting the flood. Then, when there wasn't anything left to do, we stopped and looked at each other like, "What the hell just happened?"

4 measly hours later, with our daughters snug on the couch, this dude Rico shows up to suck the water out. Yes, 4 hours later. He ended up dumping about 250 gallons from our house and left us with 2 little fans as we all hunkered down in the master for the night.


The next day he is supposed to show up with dehumidifiers to dry the place out but he doesn't show. We finally get in touch with the Property Manager and we are put up in a hotel for the next 4 days. Before heading to the hotel we go and binge on some tasty Mexican Food. It's nice to have a full belly after disaster strikes, but we still aren't happy. We are exhausted. Emotionally. Physically. Mentally.

Rico misses another appointment on Monday morning and my fed up husband hires a professional company to come take care of the botched job our-boy-Rico did 2 days before. Easy is determined to save us from the mold which could start to grow as soon as that afternoon.

4 days later, the 4 huge dehumidifiers and 9 fans are removed from the living room, hall, and 2 bedrooms. The carpet is cleaned and the baseboards snapped back on. We are home.

Now we can unpack.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law came to our rescue and helped straighten things out while E was at work this last week.

We built a raised vegetable garden. It was therapeutic. A little bit of a new beginning for me and my little family. I love looking out the kitchen window and seeing it and can't wait to enjoy the fruit it will bring.

I'll keep you up to date on it's progress.

This house will be better for us. Closer to work and school. A huge backyard with grass and a pool. In a sweet little cul-de-sac with lots of kids.

More to come.


smith scratch said...

What a nutty story. I am glad you all made it through alive. The house sounds really nice, when it's not flooded. Good for you guys!

Candy said...

OH Hayley, I'm so sorry! That is crazy and horrible and Rico deserves a little punch in the face. I hope that things will settle down and you can unpack and make that house feel like home! Can't wait to see more pics, and I hope you are fairing ok!

banananutmeg said...

oh my.
You handled that MUCH better than I would have.
MUCH better.
I think I would still be in the "binge on mexican food stage" four days later. Kids? Flood? Unpack? WHat? Pass the nachos, please.

but a cul de sac! how exciting!
Post more info/how to on your garden bed, we're thinking about adding another bed to our garden this year and I need some inspiration.

I am jealous that you can plant so early!

nicwoo said...

Hell is right.
I'm glad you've got a garden in. This is our year for that too. Now we live on a cul-de-sac. No pool. But we will be able to swap raised-bed-production stories, random gossip from random neighbors and tales of little girl musings and put this whole thing behind us.

nicwoo said...

P.S. good for you for putting some ads on this creation :)

Karen and Joe said...

What a nightmare!!! So sorry that happened. Glad all is well now! You guys are troopers for enduring that! Love that it's on a cul de sac and impressed that you built a garden on top of all the chaos! You are amazing! Good luck and stay in touch. miss ya~

Lindy Lewis said...

Heard the news from your mom and I am so freakin sorry. What a crappy time for a flood!!!! You're tough, and a trooper so I knew you could survive.....

Love ya and miss ya!

Saskia said...

What a horrible start - moving is stressful enough on its own!

I hope things improve and that you feel 'at home' in your new house x

The Brown Family said...

yeah, as if moving isn't chaotic enough!! Then you have to deal with the pain and misery of a flood with boxes still full??? Poor girl! Well, it will be a funny story to look back on a LONG time from now. It sounds like you guys found a good place. We get to go through all that soon but, PLEASE no flooding for me thank you!

eRiCa said...

Ummm...totally sucks rocks! Seriously moving is stressful enough!! I am pretty sure I would've had a M.I. the minute I saw water filling my just-moved-in-house!

Glad things are getting better now. Hope you're not too stressed with all of this and school.

you. are. super.woman.!

Garrison Propaganda said...

ugh to the slow to respond renters but hooray to a new place thats more convenient and with a pool! hope the garden works well for you and provides more relief during possibly more stressful times.

sheena said...

I am so so so so sorry this had to happen!!

but....a garden already? a pool? a cul-de-sac!! lucky lucky gal!!

hope your week is better this week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails